Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kirby's Epic Yarn Review! Currently playing new Naruto, Fallout and soon Vanquish



        Kirby's Epic Yarn is a great take on the classic 2d formula. I'd like to note i 100%ed this game entirely with a friend doing coop.We spent around 10ish hours 100%ing the game. Dreamland is threatened by Yin-Yarn an evil yarn magician and to distract Kirby, Yin-Yarn throws Kirby into Patch land which was torn into six pieces. First of all, if i took a shot for every time they said 'yarn' id have passed out an hour into the game. Kirby is tasked with stitching back together the Yarn land with Prince Fluff and finding a way back to Dreamland.

        Unlike other Kirby games, you won't be sucking up your enemies. Instead, you use your yarn-self to grab the yarn enemies and rip them apart them or ravel them into a yarn ball to throw them at other yarn enemies. Its pretty ridiculous, but its loads of fun. The level design was fantastic and bosses were very intuitive making great use of the yarn mechanics. 

        The game is beautiful, for a Wii game, taking on a very creative yarn-styled look. The game is a charm to look at and is quite adorable. The narrator that told the story kind of like a Curious George episode was kind of silly but it worked. There was one underwater level with a bunch of eels that had abysmal slowdown that made the game practically unplayable. I don't know if it was because of it being coop or what. The rest of the game ran quite nicely. 

       It's a great Kirby game i recommend for just about anyone. If you are a fan of Kirby, platforming or just plain fun definitely pick up this game. 

Pros
    +Adorable, well done art style
    +Great traditional 2d game play with the 'yarn' twist

Cons
    -If you don't like collecting everything it could be extremely short
    -Nothing else, its great

Score 4.5/5
    

29 comments:

  1. I know I'm picking this up sometime in the future. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >Unlike other Kirby games, you won't be sucking up your enemies.

    This made me slightly sad. Still, it's a great game that I only wish I could play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jerry, great review. You've inspired me to pick it up sometime ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would like to try Kirby's epic yarn. Especially considering to buy it, because the only game i got for WII at the moment is WII sports, and that's kinda boring after a couple of hours. :( anyway gonna follow this blog, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never played a Kirby game. I'll be sure to pick this one up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow-down on a wii game? I've never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wii... thats why i hate america. cos wii cost a fortune in my country


    and turn off this captcha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool review, i might have to check this game out. djnb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a wii, but this looks like a fun game, I'd play it

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you don't suck up enemies and get their abilities?

    Isn't that what all Kirby games are about?

    ReplyDelete
  11. dayly checking your blog and there is nothing new ; /
    come up whitf something

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man Wii is only good for 2 things.
    1. Marion
    2. MH3
    3. Sexercise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll give this a shot, but I haven't played a good kirby game since the original nintendo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog man! will read your stuff frequently! added you to morning coffee and daily refresh! cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, I would love to give this a shot. Looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. :) kirby looks like a great game

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kirby EpicYarn! I still have to get this game

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent review. Don't have a Wii myself but I may use an acquaintances console to give Kirby a go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. good to hear that kirby's wii game is a solid one. can't wait to pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha im not sure being great isnt a con =P but nice post nonetheless! keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kaabi is so awesome, I just recently played the nes ones again <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds good, but everyone loves Kirby so it's hard to mess it up... then again, Sonic had the same quality... >_>;

    ReplyDelete
  23. love the update! kirby never gets old

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good review I never really considered the game but I am now.

    ReplyDelete